Each year in California, over one hundred people are killed and thousands more are injured in bicycle collisions. We can make bicycling safer for all by observing the following safety tips:
- Always wear a helmet.
- Obey all traffic controls.
- Ride your bicycle near the right-hand edge of the road.
- Never carry another person on your bicycle.
- Always use hand signals when turning or stopping.
- Look out for cars at cross street, driveways, and parking places.
- Be careful when checking traffic and don’t swerve when looking over your shoulder.
- Give pedestrians the right-of-way.
- Keep your bicycle in good condition.
- Always ride carefully.
Remember a bicycle is a vehicle. Bicyclists share a complex traffic environment with other larger forms of transportation. Youngsters under age nine lack the physical and mental development to interact safely in that environment.
Don’t miss the NHTSA’s bicycle safety video for adults.