On Tuesday, November 28, the Apple Valley Town Council will vote to hire Doug Robertson as the new Town Manager. The good news is that this would dramatically increase the number of cyclists in Apple Valley government from approximately zero to one, as Robertson is a cyclist.
There are also rumors of a shake-up in the Town Council at the next election which, if true, result in a very cyclist-friendly member of the community acquiring a seat on the Town Council.
Now if Apple Valley could also poach Michele Rivas …
Douglas B. “Doug” Robertson currently serves as the City Manager for the City of Victorville – a position he has held since July 2011. He has worked for the City approximately 15 years. Mr. Robertson has dedicated most of his career to the public sector. Prior to his service in Victorville, he held positions with California State University San Bernardino and the City of San Bernardino. He has lived in the High Desert for twenty-five years and currently resides in the Town of Apple Valley. He holds a Bachelor’s degree in Psychology and a Master’s degree in Public Administration (MPA).
The proposed Employment Agreement with Robertson includes:
- Monthly salary of $20,545.00.
- The effective date of the employment agreement will be January 2, 2018.
- Employee benefits will generally be the same as provided to regular full-time employees of the Town.
- Starting balances for administrative leave and sick leave shall each be 40 hours. The accrual rate for vacation, administrative leave, and sick leave shall be at the rate provided for employees with twenty years of service.
- Vehicle allowance of $600 per month.
- Reimbursement for any reasonable and necessary travel and business expenses.
- A health reimbursement arrangement to reimburse premiums for medical, dental and/or vision insurance policies covering employee, his spouse and/or any eligible dependent following separation from the Town equivalent to the total maximum benefit allowance for premiums for insurance coverage under the Town’s Benefit Plan (currently $760 per month, subject to change from time-to-time).
- Six months’ base salary severance payment for termination without cause and other, limited, circumstances. An additional six months’ base salary severance payment into the above-referenced health reimbursement arrangement if terminated within the first five years.
- The Town is not obligated to make deferred compensation contributions on employee’s behalf.