Committee Members in attendance:
Nance Mitchell, Kevin Mahany, Pat Hanson, Chuck Hanson, Ralph Wright, Shirea Mathis, Terina Dillion for Melanie Ajanwachucky, Elizabeth Walker, Allen Christenson, Lezlie Roberts, Jennifer Silvestri, Lovella Sullivan, Lena Quinonez
The following items were discussed:
- Subcommittee updates:
- Be Active (active transportation) met with the Town Engineer. Learned about pathways in Apple Valley. Would like to have a celebration when the bike path gap is completed on Dale Evans. Working to pin point a completion date so we can begin celebration plans.
- Live Better (promotion/branding) waiting on direction from Healthy AV to move forward with marketing. Logo completion in process.
- Eat Smart (access to healthy food) hasn’t met at this time. Nhis subcommittee is looking for additional members to help get them up and running. If you or someone you know is interested please contact [email protected]
- Current Goals for HealthyAV
- Contact local business/organizations ask them to adopt a policy on healthy eating during staff meetings and trainings. Proved them with list of suggestions and ideas to make policy successful. Assist with creating policy for each group.
- Recreation Department to create and implement policy on healthy eating for recreation activities and parties.
- Send out interest letters to local businesses requesting their attendance / support / membership in HealthyAV
- Complete logo
- Complete website with information to include recipes, fun health facts, nutrition information, and healthy activities in the community.
- Healthy AV goals for July 1 – Dec 31
- Establish a walking club that meets at Civic Center Park 1 time per week. With expectation that it would grow and we would be able to develop small neighborhood walking/biking groups in addition to Civic Center. Members of subcommittee Be Active would assist by welcoming walkers, explaining the HealthyAV role as well as using push pins to track what neighborhoods our walkers come from.
- Cooking Classes/Education, recruit health educators to teach cooking classes with hands on experience. Assistance from the Eat Smart committee to locate stores who would like to donate/participate in the event.
- Health Fair/Fitness Day, organize an event for the community to learn about health, medical and easy ways to be active.
- Long Term Goals
- Healthy quarterly brochures
- Neighborhood walking/biking groups
- Additional cooking classes
- Additional fitness challenges.
- Members agreed that they like the ideas of implementing healthy food policy.
- Creating a blog or Facebook page where community members can share their physical activities.
- Adelanto will open first Farmers Market 7/8
- AV discussion of Farmers Market
7/22 3:30 – 4:30
Town Hall Recreation Center
Any questions or comments please email: [email protected]